My name is Allison, I'm 13, and I just cant figure out how to do alot of the things the bible tells us to do. For example: love the Lord your God with all your heart soul mind and strength. I really want to but I dont know how. Im afraid of not loving God enough, and when I read the bible it says all this bad stuff is going to happen to you if you lie or something. I also dont understand God's greatness. I want to grow in my relationship with God but I dont see how I can because I'm afraid to read the Bible,because some of the things it says really scare me. Very confused. I just want to feel right again, I dont want to be mean to my sister, or be afraid of the bible or anything else. please help??? 

Views: 525

Replies to This Discussion

Allison,

I don't have time to answer everything you addressed, but here's a start.

Trust me, if you're aim is to get closer to God - he will not try to scare you away with threats of punishment. He wants a relationship with you and would never push you away from him. You are the reason that he sent his son to die on a cross, so that you could have direct access to him! Yes, God does not like lying or other sins, and the 10 Commandments are meant to show us our sinfulness vs. God's holiness. It is not a list of requirements to be a "good person". We are all sinful in nature and God tells us many times in the Old Testament and the New Testament the solution to sin, REPENT and turn from doing the wrong thing. Repent means to confess your sin to God and ask for his forgiveness.  So as soon as you realize that you have done something that is classified in the bible as a sin, then you need to, in prayer, immediately confess to God (or as soon as you remember what the sin was that you did) what your sin was and ask him to forgive you and try to not do it again - but even if you do do the sin again, he will still forgive you if you ask him.

Jesus said that we should forgive someone 70 x 7. So if Jesus is telling us that we should forgive someone else up to that many times, then that means that God will forgive us an endless amount of times.

There is a book that I recommend that you get called "66 Love Letters" by Larry Crabb.  It will walk you through all 66 books of the bible and it's Larry talking to God asking to help him figure out what each book of the bible is all about. What the stories are trying to tell us. It will really help you understand alot of things that you are confused about and help to you see God's ultimate plan.

I hope that helps in some small way. Please don't be afraid of God. He wants you to get closer to him and to learn more about him and his character. He wants you to GROW to love him. It's all a process, Allison. Don't expect it all to happen at once. Many of us start out the way you are, a little scared and afraid to read what's in the bible. But over time, as we start to see God is really trying to say to us, we come to understand that his ultimate desire is to have a relationship with us - not to try to scare us with threats of punishment and condemnation. But because he is a holy God, he cannot tolerate sin.

You're doing great, Allison. Hang in there and keep learning about God and don't be afraid of him.

I'm here to help you!

Hugs, Andrea

Allison,

1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV) No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

You need not depend on your own "rightness" in your relationship with God.  He knows your heart and He is always faithful.  If your desire is to know Him, love Him and serve Him, then He will give you what you desire.  I've been living my Christian life for a long time, sometimes I've done well and sometimes not so well.  God has never abandoned me regardless of how well I am doing.  I've learned that I still have much to learn and often to re-learn.  I urge you to focus on what you do understand and not worry about what you don't understand.  In time those things will likely become clear.  Take little steps and simply obey that which you understand.  Trust me when I say that God knows your heart and knows your weakness.  He truly understands how hard it is for you and will be pleased as you follow Him and obey His word in the "little" things you do understand.

Remember always that God truly loves you.  He is not sitting around waiting for you to mess up so He can strike you down.  He sits patiently as the most loving Father, waiting for you to rest in His goodness and grace.  

Take care and God bless you!

Wally Long

Allison, Jesus said Do not be afraid for I am with you. When you pray ask God to help you to be nice to your sister and to help you love him and understand the Bible. Try to pray in the morning when you get up, set aside time with the Lord and then again at night before you go to bed. God sees that you Love Him and desire to live for Him. His greatness is all around you, your mom and dad and sister are all  a part of that. Be thankful to Him for all that he has given you. Its all a process and as you to pray to him, he will help you understand and give you peace. Also ask Him to forgive you for any sin you think you might have committed. He will forgive you because he is a forgiving God. He loves you and sees you are trying to come to know and love him.  I will pray for you   God Bless You. I hope this helps    Janie
many people believe that our forgiviness comes from our asking for it. it is the sincerity when we ask that matters. it is only what Christ did on the cross that allows for forgiviness. if we realized how much we sinned we would always asking for forgiviness. GODS grace covers you ALL the time. GOD loves you as much as he loves JESUS and that never changes. 365 times the Bible says do not be afraid. that does not mean you are not going to be but when you are GOD is there to go to even if you just sit silently you are in his presence and he is very aware of you. your voice brings great joy to GODS heart. any area of your life that you want help with he is there for the asking. he will not intrude in on any area of your life with out being invited. if the ocean was ink it would be drained trying to write how much GOD loves you.

Allison, you need to get into a good church youth group. You can find young people your age and youth leaders that help you with your questions or doubts. I feel that God is happy that you want a relationship with you. Read the Psalms and the gospel of John. I'm praying for your growth as a believer in Christ Jesus.

Hi: I know it's tough to live out the bible. #1 Have you asked Jesus into your heart, given Him your life, that's the starting point. Then in the book of Romans chapter 8 verse one that there is now no condemnation, or God putting you down when you are His child. It takes God to love God, ask him, the Holy spirit to help you and he will. You also need to find other believers your age to hang out with and grow in relationship with. You need a church family. Remember Jesus understands all about you and He died and rose again just to give you an abundant full life. If there are some particular scriptures that scare you. Put them in a post and I'll comment on them for you. God has a wonderful and good plan for your whole life and He is powerful enough to help you all along the way to find it. Blessings and all the Fathers love to you.

Mark M

RSS

© 2019   Created by Keep The Faith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service