I struggle with pretty sever depression. I know that God loves me that He saved me through Jesus. But what I don't understand is WHY.  Why does God love me when I feel so worthless?

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

I know exactly how you feel.  Depression ruins my life and rules my life.  So does anxiety.  I take 4 different meds and still suffer.  I've prayed for many years for healing, but I guess it's not to be.  I sometimes feel so let down by God because it's like he hears everyone else but me.  I stay in his word, but I guess Satan has to have his hand in the pot.  Looks like we are on the same boat!!!
I also suffer from depression and take meds.  I've been struggling with the why does God love me question as well.  I've been studying and have found that God loves us because we are his children.  You don't stop loving your child because he/she has an illness.  It is an illness not a character flaw.  Even if it were, it wouldn't matter because God loves us for who we are not what we do.  There is a song that has been helping me with this.  It is Mercyme's "Beautiful".  We are beautiful in His eyes.

I listen to that song a lot myself.....It certainly speaks to where I'm at right now. But who I am is nothing remarkable at all. I really have no real talent, skill or intellect. If it were not for my husband I would not have the ability to survive in the world.   I can't honestly think of anything I am good at or any value I could possibly hold to anyone aside from my two children....(and they won't need me much longer---my oldest is already more intelligent than his mother. I can't even begin to help him with his home work)  I'm just at such a loss........I don't have access to medication or professional treatment at all.

Brenda W Vasquez said:

I also suffer from depression and take meds.  I've been struggling with the why does God love me question as well.  I've been studying and have found that God loves us because we are his children.  You don't stop loving your child because he/she has an illness.  It is an illness not a character flaw.  Even if it were, it wouldn't matter because God loves us for who we are not what we do.  There is a song that has been helping me with this.  It is Mercyme's "Beautiful".  We are beautiful in His eyes.

I have a couple of suggestions.  Try doing an internet search for community based couseling that may be free or low-cost.  I did that when I didn't have insurance.  I've been studying a couple of books that may help.  Joyce Meyer's Power Thoughts and Mind Over Mood by Greenberger and Padesky.  The psychiatrist told me that exercise is key to feeling better.  It has been shown to work as well as an antidepressant for mild to moderate depression.  I have yet to get the motivation for that though.  I'm working on it.

I know you feel worthless right now, but when the depression begins to lift you'll see things a little differently.  I don't know you, but I can see that you write well.  That is a skill than many people lack.  You'd be suprised how many people my friend tutors who would love to write like you.  I'm sure your husband and children think there are things about you that are great too.

lise neville said:

I listen to that song a lot myself.....It certainly speaks to where I'm at right now. But who I am is nothing remarkable at all. I really have no real talent, skill or intellect. If it were not for my husband I would not have the ability to survive in the world.   I can't honestly think of anything I am good at or any value I could possibly hold to anyone aside from my two children....(and they won't need me much longer---my oldest is already more intelligent than his mother. I can't even begin to help him with his home work)  I'm just at such a loss........I don't have access to medication or professional treatment at all.

Brenda W Vasquez said:

This is how I kept myself from being depressed is by reading Joyce Meyers and Max Lucado books and putting scripture all over my walls and highlight each scripture in the my bible.  That is how I made it through getting depressed from losing a job.  May God bless you.

Hello lise well first of all your not worthless.God put you on this earth for a reason.And I cant say I can relate to you but I am someone who sees it from the other side my gramma debbie is in a depression.She lost her husband to non-hodgekins last christmas eve and she feels the way you do.But what you gotta remember is god gave you family to help you through this.You mean the world to so many people and especially god.Remember that you are loved even though its hard to see that because of the depression.When my grammas so down and stays in her room and sleeps i just remind her what I told you it seems to help her a lil bit to get her up.So everytime you feel like that remember 3 things.

1.your so very loved and needed in this world

2.God put you on this earth because you are not worthless.

3.You have family that love you and think your the best person in this world.

Depression is an illness – but not like a cold, or the flu, etc…. Time and your body’s immune system will usually heal you from these sicknesses but depression can be caused by imbalances in your body’s chemical makeup, from genetics, etc…. Usually you need help to get out of major depression – don’t be afraid to ask your friends, pastors, etc…. Depression if not treated can get a lot worse and you end up in a pit that’s next to impossible to get out of – don’t ignore the situation.
The lack of self-worth is a lie from the pit of hell, Satan cannot touch God so he settles with trying to destroy your life (God’s child). You are made in the image of God and have ultimate value, so much that God was willing to come to earth and suffer the humiliation and pain of a violent death upon a Roman cross, as well as bearing the sins of the world – just for you! Don’t tell me you do not have value – God proved you do! Now you must claim that value and show Satan he is a liar and a thief.
There are quite a few good things you can do to help get you out of depression:
First – read your Bible and study the scriptures:
You can’t help but be encouraged as you see the Hand of God throughout the scriptures controlling nations and people to accomplish His goals. He had a special purpose for each life in the scriptures and He also has a special purpose for your life – your job is to discover what that purpose is to serve Him.
Second – exercise is one of the best ways to build up your physical body which will also help with your mental condition. It’s easier to work out with a friend – you can support each other and help encourage each other when the going gets tough. Walking is an excellent exercise and if you can do it outside in the sunlight it will be even more beneficial. Your body produces serotonin and melatonin based upon sunlight. During the winter the days are shorter and we’re inside a lot more and it’s easier to become depressed because of a lack of these chemicals in your body.
Third – Get on a regular routine for your life. Don't lie in the bed! If you do your health will suffer and it will be even harder to get out of the depression.
Fourth - Volunteer your time to a worthy cause! Giving of yourself is one of the best ways to get your eyes off yourself and it helps you see that your life is valuable and that you can contribute to society. This is probably one of the best things you can do but it’s extremely hard in the beginning. You may find that special purpose for your life by donating your time to worthy causes.
You have a choice in life but you must make a move to make it happen. Depression will try to steal this away from you but just remember what Philippians 4:13 says:
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

If you are still having problems after you try these, you really need to seek medical advice and counseling to get help. Take care and God Bless!
Thank you, your  comment is extremely helpful I will start to try your suggestions right away.  God bless.

Lise, I know exactly how you feel.  I struggle also, with depression and anxiety, and I ask myself the same question.  It is very scarry, but God does love you.  What has helped me is reading my Bible, reading books written by Christian authors on the subject, just really being open with God and crying out to him.  One thing that really helped me was when I admitted to people(church, friends, etc), that I struggled with depression.  I felt like I was free to be me, because I did not have to hide my depression.  Keep your chin up.   There is a reason that you are going through this, and God knows.

Books that have helped me: Captivating by John & Stasi Eldriedge, Self Talk, Soul Talk by Jennifer Rothschild, Coming out of the Dark by Mary Southerland, Free to Be Me by Betty Robison (James' wife), Life is tough but God is Faithful, I'm not Wonder Women, but God Made me Wonderful (last 2 by Sheila Walsh).  I could give you many more, but these are just a few of the ones that have given me encouragement. 

I also get encouragement from Christian radio. There are some really good songs out there. Songs that help you to realize that you are not alone, other people are struggling just like you.  I love the song Beautiful, and Faith by Kutless.

Thank you for posting, because it helped me!!!

How far do I have to fall before God catches me?  If you've already been on your knees and now your on the ground, you have no where else to fall.  Right?  You can only look up.  Still I don't see anything.  How much more do I have to fall before I feel God catching and picking me up?  I understand the depression....

I know how you feel.  I have been flat on my face on the floor, crying out to God,before.  Can't say that I felt any relief afterwards, but I know that God's love is not a feeling, it is something that you know.  We do not always feel loved by God, but be assured, we are, because "God don't make NO junk!" : }  I have found what encourages me is to find "christian" books on the subject.  There are SOOOO many good books out there, but one that I have found to be really helpful is "Coming out of the Darkness", by Mary Southerland.  It is not real recent (2004/2005 I think), but I think that if you look around on the internet, you might be able to find it. 

I will be praying for you.

: } 

Jennifer said:

How far do I have to fall before God catches me?  If you've already been on your knees and now your on the ground, you have no where else to fall.  Right?  You can only look up.  Still I don't see anything.  How much more do I have to fall before I feel God catching and picking me up?  I understand the depression....

Thank you, Marlynn!  I will check out this book and try to find.  I am willing to get my hands on anything that will help.  I have had many low points in my life as we all have, but never one this low.  I'm also having to learn to forgive myself.  All throughout the day I try to say - God loves me!  And I know you are right.  Eventually, I'll know!  Thank you again and for your prayers too!  Blessings to you as you are blessing others!

Marlynn Streetman said:

I know how you feel.  I have been flat on my face on the floor, crying out to God,before.  Can't say that I felt any relief afterwards, but I know that God's love is not a feeling, it is something that you know.  We do not always feel loved by God, but be assured, we are, because "God don't make NO junk!" : }  I have found what encourages me is to find "christian" books on the subject.  There are SOOOO many good books out there, but one that I have found to be really helpful is "Coming out of the Darkness", by Mary Southerland.  It is not real recent (2004/2005 I think), but I think that if you look around on the internet, you might be able to find it. 

I will be praying for you.

: } 

Jennifer said:

RSS

© 2014   Created by Keep The Faith.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service