My 21 yr. old is in a correctional facility.  We have never experienced anything like this nor did I ever imagine he could end up there.  He is a very respectful young man, shy, easy going.  We are very close since there has never been a father figure in his life.  So when he was arrested, I felt like I'd lost a child!  And I have 2 younger children 10 and 12 who need me as well.  This has been by far my greatest challenge in life.  My husband is also not a believer so it is very hard when I still become emotional because I still miss my son so greatly and wish I had Godly encouragement from my husband.  He tries but I feel so alone in this.  I am informed that my son is acting out angry, uncooperative, and I cry out to God that I wish I could talk to him, perhaps he is so afraid he might hurt himself!! 

Just yesterday morning on my way to church, I was listening to my wgts91.9 christian station and there was a message from Keep The Faith about seeing a huge setback as a 2nd chance or ? I wish desperately I could remember because it was SOO encouraging to me!!  The time was about 11:00am in Derwood, MD.

Views: 304

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much for your help and advice and encouragement.  Yes, I must pray for much wisdom and patience from the Lord.  God bless you.

Star

Wally Long said:

Star,

I am assuming this is a state prison you are talking about.  I think the place to start would be with the office of the state Attorney General.  You could also contact the Director of the State prison with you info and concerns.  You'll need to have a good case when you make your contacts.  They receive a lot of complaints of mistreatment from inmate family members so you'll need to be rational and believable.  Bathe the situation in prayer so God will prepare the hearts of those you are contacting that they will listen to you.  As much as I dislike the organization, you may even contact the ACLU.  Abusing an inmate is a crime both morally and legally.  It should not be tolerated.  Pray for wisdom and God will lead you to the resources and people to speak with.  Never give up!  God bless you!

Wally 

Redeemed said:

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  You sound like the ideal correctional officer.  While my son was in jail for 6 wks., he was not treated humanely at all and was even injured.  He'd been showing signs of mental illness right before he was arrested but my research on this problem tells me this is not new.  I'd tried to reach anyone and everyone who had contact with my son there that he was not in his right mind and needed proper help but I wasn't paid much attention to.  Now I am in the process of gathering lots of information and evidence so I can present it to a lawyer to see if I could have a case - not for money whatsoever but because I extremely have a heart for the weak and ill who have no voice in these correctional facilities or prisons.  I'm not ok at all with this.  I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on this.  I know our God has sustained my son through all this but I feel a calling to do something to help others in my son's situation.  Thank you for listening.

Star

Wally Long said:

Dear Redeemed,

The short answer to your original question is "Yes", God will hear your prayers.  I recently retired from a  20 year career as a correctional officer in a federal prison.  Although I was an officer and not a chaplain, I had many opportunities to minister to inmates and staff alike.  I have seen a number of honest conversions of men in prison.  Many of them very dramatic conversions.  God can work in the life of your son.  There will be someone there, whether inmate or staff, who will be able to connect with him and show him God's love.  Keep praying.  Do not lose faith.  God can bring light to the darkest place.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.  Take care and God bless!

Wally Long

I know what it is like to be behind prison walls because I just got out of prison on april 14 2011 I know what your son is going through and I know what you are going through because I saw first hand what me being locked up did to my family but thank God my mother has her son back and I can start a new life.  You see I asked to be in prison I got saved watching a christian movie one night with a friend and on the way home I prayed and asked God to change my life and whatever it takes to change I'll do it well I got what I asked for I was sentenced to 7 years 2 weeks later and I would not trade that 7 years for anything in the world it helped me to see things from a different view as an inmate and now from the outside and I have seen what it does to families and right now as everyone reading this as my witness I make a vow to do anything I can to help anyone or their families cope and deal with the pain that goes along with this so if theres anything anyone needs me to do if I can I will I'm only 29 years old I dont now much but I just feel like this maybe what God wants me to do so I'll be praying

Thank you for your understanding and encouragement, Randell.  However, my son has some mental health issues.  Aside from ADD, he has some level of psychosis.  I believe the 6 weeks he was in jail may have really made his mental state worse.  And lately I have done so much research about mental illness and the incarcerated and I have learned a lot about the malfunctions and negligence of correctional officers and staff towards the mentally ill.  A lot is because of ignorance.  My son should never have ended up in jail in the first place.  He is normally very quiet and passive, very self-controlled, respectful and kind.  In his mind, all he was doing was trying to see a girl he liked and thought liked him back.  But the constant harrassing caused her to call police and he was arrested for stalking and harrassment and trespassing.  He in no way even saw this coming.  Anyway, he's been through so much mental anguish in the last 3 months.  I always pray for God to move in this hospital, that the Holy Spirit would be constantly by his side and comforting him and helping him to have a clear mind.  Thank you for your listening.

Star

Randell Bailey said:

I know what it is like to be behind prison walls because I just got out of prison on april 14 2011 I know what your son is going through and I know what you are going through because I saw first hand what me being locked up did to my family but thank God my mother has her son back and I can start a new life.  You see I asked to be in prison I got saved watching a christian movie one night with a friend and on the way home I prayed and asked God to change my life and whatever it takes to change I'll do it well I got what I asked for I was sentenced to 7 years 2 weeks later and I would not trade that 7 years for anything in the world it helped me to see things from a different view as an inmate and now from the outside and I have seen what it does to families and right now as everyone reading this as my witness I make a vow to do anything I can to help anyone or their families cope and deal with the pain that goes along with this so if theres anything anyone needs me to do if I can I will I'm only 29 years old I dont now much but I just feel like this maybe what God wants me to do so I'll be praying

All great replies.  I do agree.  NEVER stop praying, that is what satan wants you to do.  He is the one that is telling you that nothing good is happening or going to happen.  I go to church with a lady who's son was arrested about 6 months ago for several different things, including drugs.  Normally this would be a prision sentence, but mom believed that the Lord was somehow going to use this for his good.  Guess what, because of her belief and many, many prayers, God gave him the chance to go to rehab (and she was able to take him).  Through all of this he has started reading his Bible and serving the Lord.  At first glance, we (humans) would look at this as terrible, but God always knows what he has planned.  I will pray with you that through this diffcult time, your son and your husband will turn to God.  WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GIVE UP ON GOD!!!! : }

Dear Redeemed,

I will join you in praying for your situation and all involved.  There is so much power in prayer.  I pray our Father opens the doors for you and guides you as you seek to help others and glorify Him.  I pray your son and husband both come to know Jesus as their Savior and friend.

Love,

Daisy

Redeemed said:

Thank you so much for your help and advice and encouragement.  Yes, I must pray for much wisdom and patience from the Lord.  God bless you.

Star

Wally Long said:

Star,

I am assuming this is a state prison you are talking about.  I think the place to start would be with the office of the state Attorney General.  You could also contact the Director of the State prison with you info and concerns.  You'll need to have a good case when you make your contacts.  They receive a lot of complaints of mistreatment from inmate family members so you'll need to be rational and believable.  Bathe the situation in prayer so God will prepare the hearts of those you are contacting that they will listen to you.  As much as I dislike the organization, you may even contact the ACLU.  Abusing an inmate is a crime both morally and legally.  It should not be tolerated.  Pray for wisdom and God will lead you to the resources and people to speak with.  Never give up!  God bless you!

Wally 

Redeemed said:

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  You sound like the ideal correctional officer.  While my son was in jail for 6 wks., he was not treated humanely at all and was even injured.  He'd been showing signs of mental illness right before he was arrested but my research on this problem tells me this is not new.  I'd tried to reach anyone and everyone who had contact with my son there that he was not in his right mind and needed proper help but I wasn't paid much attention to.  Now I am in the process of gathering lots of information and evidence so I can present it to a lawyer to see if I could have a case - not for money whatsoever but because I extremely have a heart for the weak and ill who have no voice in these correctional facilities or prisons.  I'm not ok at all with this.  I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on this.  I know our God has sustained my son through all this but I feel a calling to do something to help others in my son's situation.  Thank you for listening.

Star

Wally Long said:

Dear Redeemed,

The short answer to your original question is "Yes", God will hear your prayers.  I recently retired from a  20 year career as a correctional officer in a federal prison.  Although I was an officer and not a chaplain, I had many opportunities to minister to inmates and staff alike.  I have seen a number of honest conversions of men in prison.  Many of them very dramatic conversions.  God can work in the life of your son.  There will be someone there, whether inmate or staff, who will be able to connect with him and show him God's love.  Keep praying.  Do not lose faith.  God can bring light to the darkest place.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.  Take care and God bless!

Wally Long

RSS

© 2017   Created by Keep The Faith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service